blogdesign

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Why I Run Part 1

A few things have made me stop and reflect on the past year. So many good things have happened in our lives, and with Thanksgiving being tomorrow, I have been thinking about all the good in my crazy, hectic life.

This past weekend, I ran the One World Run for orphans in Kenya. This race is special to me, because it was the first 5k that I decided to run after having my son. I mark this as a one year point in my journey to become healthier, stronger, and a positive role model for my children to follow. Last year, I finished the race around 34 minutes ( I think) and one year later...I finished under thirty minutes again. I never thought I would run under 30 minutes, but this is proof that in just one year, you can do anything you set your mind to.

It also got me thinking back to why I starting running in the first place. The first reason I started running was to prove to myself I could. I have never thought of myself as athletic, and even to this day I don't. But I always admired people who could run, and I told myself one day, I would be running, too. So I took the first steps, with a friend and made the change. The first six weeks were the hardest. It was cold, I was tired, and I didn't want to run. But every night, we would run. Having someone to motivate me was huge. It made me accountable to someone else, and I didn't want to let her down.

Another thing I did was find races. I found a race a month ahead of time, and signed up for it. I wasn't "ready" when I signed up, but I knew I COULD be in a month. So I gave myself a deadline, a PAID deadline. I was going to run, and I was going to earn that tshirt that said I had run something. Slowly, but surely, I did it.

Come back to tomorrow for part 2
Emilee
Phil 4:13

1 comment: